Okra contains Vitamin A & C and is a good source of Iron & Calcium. To get rid of its sliminess, it is either stir-fried for a long time on a low flame, or acidic ingredients like Tamarind, Tomato or Yoghurt is added which also helps its cooking faster.
This is a simple and usual stir fry but with the addition of Tamarind. I learnt this recipe from my Chithi (Mom’s sister) and very much fond of this because of its tangy taste. This goes well with Curd Rice or Rice with Sambar / Dhal Curry.
- Okra ½ kg
- Sambar Powder 1 tbsp leveled
- Turmeric Powder 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida 1-2 pinch
- Dried Red Chillies 1-2
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Pearl Onions 3-4
- Curry Leaves 4-5
- Mustard Seeds and Urad Dhal ½ tsp each
- Water 2-3 tbsp
- Cut Okra into very fine pieces. Peel and Chop Pearl Onions.
- Cut Chillies into two. Soak Tamarind in water for 2-3 minutes and extract its Juice.
- Heat little Oil in a Pan. When hot, add Mustard seeds. Wait till it pops up and then add Urad Dhal & Curry Leaves.
- Few seconds later, add Onions and fry till slightly brown.
- Add chopped Okra. Sprinkle all the Powders and Salt. Mix well and fry for a while.
- Now add Tamarind Juice. Mix well and fry till done.
Serve with Rice and Sambar/Dhal Curry/Curd.
This goes to Herbs & Flowers: Curry Leaves of Taste Junction initiated by PJ of Seduce your Taste buds.